Okay so this is my go to baby blanket pattern, Its quick its easy and you can use scrap wool if you want which is a glorious thing in the knitting world! Because all of those wool scraps add up!!!
Anyway this one is for my sister in law and brother, so I used all the colours!!!!
So here's how you do it!
you will need:
scrap balls of wool [it helps if you sort them into colour order, like a rainbow!]
your biggest knitting needles [ I think i used a size 5 or 6?]
a couple of free hours [and a good box set!]
1. Sort all of your wool into rainbow order
2. Grab your first two balls of wool and tie the ends together. cast on 3 stitches and treat these two strands as one. [you will continue to knit the whole of the blanket using two strands so the colours will "fade" into each other. Now the cool bit is one ball will inevitably finish before the other so then you just tie on your next ball of wool! this is what creates the ombre effect!]
3. Using your three cast on stiitches, knit 1 row and increase 1 stitch at the end
4. Continue knitting a row and increasing 1 stitch until your width is approximately 70cm or more if you'd like it to be longer!
5. Knit one row
6. Knit 1 row and decrease one stitch at the end.
7. Keep knitting a row and decreasing one stitch until three stitches remain
8. Cast off your last three stitches and weave in ends!
9. You can also add an optional crochet trim! which I did because I ran out of wool!!!!
Its such a versatile pattern! Heres some ways yo can make it your own!
- use a different stitch! try stocking stitch or moss stitch!
- Instead of two strands use chunky wool!
- Be eco friendly and recycle tshirts to make tshirt yarn! [this might be a lil thick though!]
-Knit all in one colour for a more neutral feel!
- Skip to colour ordering and just use one colour scheme like various shades of pink or blue!
Hopefully the mummy and daddy of my new niece or nephew will like the blanket! I personally like the bright colours because OMG so much fun!!!!!! But I think they will because they are bright colourful people!
My only regret is that it isn't bigger but I think it will work nicely for a car seat layer or a Moses basket one! I wish I could have knit it bigger but I ran out of wool! Which is pretty hard to believe considering I used scraps!!!
Im going to cast on another one of these tonight, But I can't decide which colour scheme to go for, blue or pink?
Maybe this time I can make it bigger!