Wednesday 24 January 2018

Cross Stitch Bookmark


I'm slowly working my way through blogging all of my pre Xmas projects. I did a lot of hand sewing before Christmas because, well, I'd tidied up and stuff hadn't I? And the last thing I wanted was extra cleaning and hoovering to do! 


I brought a cross stitch bookmark kit from my local charity shop for about £1. I thought it was complete but when I got home I found that whilst the needle, threads, Aida and sticky back plastic were there the instructions with the cross stitch pattern on were missing. 

WOOPS! Serves me right for not checking in the shop properly.


Now a normal person might have tried to find the pattern online or tried to work out the pattern from the picture on the front. But me? I decided to throw caution to the wind and just enjoy myself! 

It reminded me a lot of when we did cross stitch at primary school and we just did rows and rows of different stitches I found it very relaxing. 

[Also cross stitch lessons were just about the only part of school that I vividly remember enjoying. My neighbour Audrey used to come in once a week and teach us and I always really enjoyed it, mainly because she babysat me too so I'd already had cross stitch lessons and was pretty much allowed to do what I wanted!]


So yeah there's a lot of random stitches and pattern and really no rhyme or reason. Then after I was done all I had to do was put it between the sheets of sticky back plastic and I was done.

But I had an absolute mare trying to get the plastic to actually stay stuck around the cross stitch.


So in the end I covered it with a tea towel and ironed it, which made the plastic stick together and made my kitchen smell like a meth lab. Not that I'm 100% sure what a meth lab actually smells like..... but it was a vile smell.  


I read jaws before Christmas which shows how old this project is and I think I've read maybe 5? Books since then? My aim for this year is to read 50 books and so far I'm on number 6? I think? I'm reading bleak house by Charles Dickens at the moment [And simultaneously Harry Potter 1 for book club with my sister] I'm enjoying bleak house more than I thought I would. I've never read a Dickens book before and I was worried it might be a bit "dry". 

But if anyone does have any book recommendations please let me know! My tastes are pretty board! As you can see from this post! 

Much Love 

Frankie 

xxx

4 comments:

  1. Here are a few of my favorite books:
    A Man Called Ove
    A Girl of the Limberlost
    Celia’s House D.E. Stevenson
    The Eliot Family Trilogy Elizabeth Goudge

    Your son might enjoy this series as a read aloud. My girls love it! Let’s face it. The whole family loves this series.
    The Incoragable Children of Ashton Place

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are enjoying Charles dickens. He's not dry at all! One of my favourite authors is Alexander McCall smith, especially his number one ladies detective agency series and 44 Scotland street books. Give them a go if you've never tried them before, but do read them in order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of the ladies detective agency one! X

      Delete

Go On Make Me Smile And Leave Me A Comment!
You can also reach me at knitwitsowls@gmail.com!
x