Wednesday 1 August 2018

Why I've sized down my sewing kit!


Now that I've been sewing awhile I seem to have accumulated quite a sizable sewing accessory stash. Truth be told whilst I love collecting old bit of sewing equipment especially if they belongs to someone I know, trying to find exactly what I needed was a bit like trying to find a needle in well...a really big like of needles and other stuff!! 

It was really starting to drain on my creativity. I could easily spend an hour tidying everything up and trying to work out what to take when I did my demos at abakhans was becoming a nightmare. But I couldn't see myself being able to part with any of my old sewing things especially things that had once belonged to someone else.

Then I was lucky enough that prym sent me some of their new sewing range to try out. And guys less is more!!!

They basically sent me a collection of sewing essentials in a little plastic sewing box and once I'd seen all those matching items together I couldn't bare to throw them into the chaos of the sewing box!! 




So I kept them separate and tried a more minimal type of sewing! 

And I loved it!!!! Naturally I added in a few of my own items that I love but now I find things a lot easier! I wasn't spend ages searching for items or tidying UK now and the case was portable enough that it could from my sewing table to abakhans no problem! It even took a trip to my sons school when I did a sewing workshop. 

I think it works so well because everything in their is an essential and everything is good quality so I'm no longer searching for a good needle or decent scissors! 

Here's a small taste of whats inside:


Prym scissors on chain (particularly useful for cutting over locker chains) this pair actually came attached to a pin cushion but I like them better than my previous cabin scissors so I switched them.


Prym ergonomic unpicker  not that I use it because *ahem* pro sewer over here...... Its lies if I could have this on a chain too I would. 



. This might be my favourite item to be honest. With having a day and a small child I am always on alert that they can't get my needles. Well this case comes with a lid and swivels up like a lipstick to display your needles. AND there's a magnet in the bottom so even if you hold it upside down nothing falls out. GENIUS!!!! 


Magnetic pincushion, again safety wise this has been a godsend. I regularly throw needles at it and it catches them every single time!!!! 


Small scissors these are in between my dressmaking scissors and my embroidery ones so perfect off quick cuts for alterations . They are super sharp which really makes me want to try their larger version! Also the boys know exactly what I mean when I scream don't use the polka dot scissors!!! 


Point turner. Its official I'm the person who uses a point turner... A few years ago if you'd have asked me to use a point turner I'd have pointed to various pens and pencils that I used as point turners but now I'm all about the smooth point! And as an added bonus this doesn't leave an ink stain like pen does!!! 


Beeswax (not sure what brand this is ?) I added this to the box myself because I cannot cope with tangled threads I just don't have the patience! 


Tailors chalk (not sure of brand) I added this to the box because using it makes me feel fancy.... That's not even a joke when I use tailors chalk I feel like a sewing boss! 


Other fabric markers ( from top to bottom ) cartridge pen , aqua pen and chalk wheel.  At a push I'd say the chalk wheel is my favourite but to a be honest between the three of them I can mark pretty much every fabric ever!!! 


Other things that live in the box worth mentioning : 

- wonder clips ( especially useful for jersey fabrics)
- thread cutter necklace (literally saves my sanity any time I fly)
-janome scissors 
- my own personal sewing labels (because I'm fancy) 

Okay so I'm officially converted to a minimalist sewing box (not that it'll keep me from filling my big sewing box with other goodies I find) but where do you stand???? 

Is smaller more practical ? Or is bigger better?? 

Much love 

Frankie 

Xxx

Disclaimer : whilst prym sent me these items for free I have been using them solidly for 6 months and all thoughts and views are my own.

2 comments:

  1. There are some very clever tools is there - what a great kit! It's so easy to accumulate so many bits and pieces in our sewing adventures so it can be quite refreshing to pare down what you have. As you say, it makes the sewing process quicker when you can easily spot which tool you need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much easier and quicker! I love having my tools at my finger tips x

      Delete

Go On Make Me Smile And Leave Me A Comment!
You can also reach me at knitwitsowls@gmail.com!
x