Thursday 8 June 2017

The Half Finished Jacket Part 1

Okay so this jacket was given to me by an old friend, I used to go to school with her daughter and then I used to serve here in the pub! [Stella shandy, half and half, the fact that I can still remember drinks orders like this but don't know where my slippers are is highly amusing] 

Anyways she was moving and she started this jacket when she was in college [which was a little while ago, I ain't going to start divulging peoples ages!] and she offered it to me! As well as an awesome sewing box that folds out! 

P.S This is my first finished jacket so prepare yourself for a long post! 

Image result for vogue 1446

The jacket was already cut out and all of the pieces had the interfacing attached and the pad stitching had already been done! The pattern was vogue 1446 , which as you can see is VERY 80's!!!! The jacket that was cut out was the middle one [view B] and a good portion of the work had already been done. 

Here's a list of what had been done:

Cutting out
Pad stitching
Pockets attached to front pieces
Fronts and backs of sleeves sewn together [They are in two parts]
Sewn side seams [As it goes I undid the side seams and sleeve seams and re sewed them because I know how seam allowances can vary from person to person]


Anyways I finished it!!!! Woop woop! I had actually forgotten just how good vogue instructions are!
I had to attach the collar which went in easy and attach the sleeves which was less fun, vogue has you set then in with the side seams sewn up and I scratched up my arms because of all the pins I had to wrangle around my sewing machine!


Then I had to sew and attach the lining, I sewed most of the lining to the front facing by machine but the neck area was stitched by hand just so I'd have more control and be able to achieve a neater finish.


I love how this turned out because you can barely see the stitches!


I hemmed the sleeves by hand as well.


The fabric was a British made wool and is LUSH! its like the most beautiful fabric in the world and I think I fell in love with it! Surprisingly it pressed really really well! Although I did use a pressing cloth so I wouldn't scorch it. The lining is just a typical lining fabric. The combination of the two makes a lovely snuggly coat!


I finished the hem using the "taped hem" method [At least that's what Jamie from male Devon sewing calls it!] Basically I turned up the hem once and whip stitched it down and them I covered the raw edges and the whip stitching with a strip of ribbon and some very neat stitches!


Then I top stitched around the edge of the whole coat, at this point I'd given up with the instructions and was just going my own way! I also left the buttons off because I just wasn't feeling it!


Okay so here's the deal , whilst I had a blast sewing this up and I love the fabric and I do genuinely think its some of my best sewing....... It is very 80's. I mean very 80's it has shoulder pads for gods sake! Now I know this slouchy style is very on trend however I think this might be a bit too slouchy for me [The lady who gave me this would have looked fab in it, shes very tall and by here own admission has the shoulders to carry it!] I however am quite short and have very little shoulders so It sort of drowns me, which is why..............

I have altered the living shenanigans out of it!!! Haha yep I went on a full hacking spree on this bad boy and now its bad-ass! But you'll have to wait for this until part 2!!!

Much Love 

Frankie

xxx

P.S if you made it to the end I'll be well impressed because this was a well long post! 

  



8 comments:

  1. All the time I was reading this I was thinking "it's much too big for you Frankie. It looks like it would fit your husband." Haha, you got me! Looking forward to Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha see I'm super crafty! Hopefully you think I got a better fit for part two!!

      Delete
  2. Ha ha I saw the title & thought I can't believe she started the coat without me 😂 Can't wait to see part 2 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you Frankie - your blog always has me smiling. So now you have unpicked the coat you just finished hemming? WE will wait with baited breath to see what you come up with for this project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes naturally I completely finished the vat before I decided to pull it apart! I'm crazy like that x

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see the end result! It's so very 80's but has so much fabric to work with x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its such a beautiful fabric too, you can really tell it's quality x

      Delete

Go On Make Me Smile And Leave Me A Comment!
You can also reach me at knitwitsowls@gmail.com!
x