Thursday 22 November 2018

Stella Hoodie


As soon as Tilly Walnes new book came out I knew I wanted to make the stella hoodie and even more luckily when the big pattern swap was happening I saw that someone was getting rid of their free copy that came with simply sewing magazine. 

So I snapped it up immediately! And sewed it very quickly!


So the details!! The main fabric came from the abakhans fill a bag sale. I do have some left and I', debating between making a coco dress do a matching pair of sweat pants, any thoughts????

The fabric for the inside of the hood is an aztec type print and came from an old RTW dress. The dress had done that horrible thing where it becomes baggy and looks a bit naff so I re purposed it for the hood lining. 


I didn't have any cord for the ties so I made my own using the same fabric as for the rest of the hoodie. To be honest I quite like the body that they give to the hood when its up. 

The fabric has a quilted pattern on it and its very snuggly and warm. In fact I took this on our camping trip during the summer and I can confirm that it kept me lovely and toasty. I actually had Rikki take some photos of me on the campsite but he isn't much of a photographer and my eyes were closed on most so I had to scratch them and take some at home. 


Fit wise I cut a size 5. Normally I cut a 4 for tillys patterns but I wanted to make sure it would be big enough to wear lots of layers underneath. 

To be honest I still think the body is a bit short and so are the sleeves so both of those need altering on my next version. I really I think I need at least 3 inches onto the sleeves and about 6 onto the hem for me to feel like it looks right. 


Construction wise, with it being a free pattern it didn't come with any instructions. So I popped myself onto you tube and watched a video of someone making one up whilst I did the washing up so I'd have the gist.

The main parts were sewn on my over locker with just the top stitching and the ties being done of my regular machine. 

I did have to use a walking foot to get it through my machine but I always do for jerseys because it gives a bit more control and stops the fabric stretching weirdly.

I also did the button holes on my regular machine and I had to go over them a few times to get them looking nice. Doing buttonholes in jersey is such a faff but luckily this is a fairly stable one so it wasn't a massive issue I just had to fill in some gaps. 


The only thing I think its missing is a big pocket at the front. I think there is instructions in the book for how to draft one [Or maybes there is a pattern piece] But seen as I don't have the book I'll have to make my own which shouldn't be too hard. 


All in all I'm really pleased with how it turned out even if the sleeves and body are a bit short. I've been wearing it a lot for walking the dog in the evening when its cold and I need as many layers as I can get! 

Much Love 

Frankie 

xxx

6 comments:

  1. That red really suits you Frankie. Very cosy and Christmassy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hoodie turned out great, and I agree the color suits you.
    I love your posts, they always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aawww im glad my posts always make you smile! xx

      Delete
  3. I love how it's a hoodie, but still looks put together, definitely going to try to find this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its defo a lot classier than the hoodys i wore as a teenager xx

      Delete

Go On Make Me Smile And Leave Me A Comment!
You can also reach me at knitwitsowls@gmail.com!
x