Tuesday 4 September 2018

My First Sew Over It Cami

It always amazes me how some indie pattern companies because royalty in the sewing world, Tilly and the buttons, grainline studios and of course Sew over it.

And if we are gonna be honest Lisa Comfort of sew over it would be the queen because LOL is their anything that woman can't do?


This is my first ever experience of the sew over it pattern company. As far as I know they don't have any free patterns and as I've said many times before I'm very cheap and don't like to spend money on things that aren't fabric. 

Luckily I was given this pattern during the #greatbigpatternswap I think it came free with one of the sewing magazines so naturally it didn't have any instructions. Luckily for me there was a sew along on the sew over it blog so I used that.


Fit wise I cut a size 12 as my bust size was in between a size 10 and a 12 and I'd rather I cut my pattern too big and altered it from there. For reference my bust size is 36 inches.

Fit wise I think its okay. I like the way its quite modest and doesn't gape when I bend over.


The construction is fairly simple it has an all in one facing and you attach it through the shoulders which to be completely honest is a method I absolutely hate. In future I think I'll just add in a centre back seam and then I can do the facing in my preferred way.

As it goes if i had realised I could have done my usual technique on this one because it has a centre back seam. I ended up putting in a centre back seam because I was running out of fabric and cutting both the front and the back out on the fold just wasn't happening. 


The fabric itself is this awesome skull print cotton by the craft cotton company , realistically its a bit thick for this kind of top but I'm still going to wear it just becuase i love the print. Plus I'm guessing the more I wash it the softer it will become.


I really really like the curved hem, however I am wondering if I should add a bit more length into the body just to make it a bit more flattering? 

All in all I do like the pattern but its just not very exciting is it? I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it though when I'm trying to use up all of my fabric scraps. 

In other news!!!

- Little man goes back to school tomorrow. SOBS. I've really enjoyed having him with me all day even if it means I can't sew. It took me back to when he was really little and it was just the two of us all day watching movies and having cuddles. On the plus side It will be nice to sew and he is really looking forward to going back. 

- Bake off is back! I actually really enjoyed the last series on channel four and dislike the last series on bbc. I guess that makes me a traitor but I'm glad its back. 

- My knitting project is nearly done [its a winter blanket for Polly, she sleeps in the kitchen and it gets pretty cold in there at night] after that I'm going to get back on track with my cardigan and then I'm going to give one of my nans vintage patterns a whirl.

And i think that's about it!

Much Love

Frankie 

4 comments:

  1. I like that cut and length on you. It looks better out to show off the curved hemline. A good pattern for stash busting. Hey Frankie, Ababkhans has opened by us!!!!! J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave to go to abakhans you'll love it!!!

      Delete
  2. Love the fabric. I don't have a Sew Over It pattern either. (I am just tight, money goes on small people and clubs and kit and trips at school). Scrap busting and comfort are a plus though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a really tight sewer and some of the indie patterns are so highly priced!!!! One thing I've been doing is looking at the big four pattern books and seeing if I can dupe them to save money x

      Delete

Go On Make Me Smile And Leave Me A Comment!
You can also reach me at knitwitsowls@gmail.com!
x