Friday 21 September 2018

Dresdan Plate Quilt Topper

I feel like every time I say we don't need any more quilts I take an actual look and then lo and behold I'm like we need another quilt.

I mean technically we don't NEED another quilt but I like making them and when you've done a school run in the rain everyone just wants their own blanket to cuddle up with.....including the dog.

Fun Fact: The dog is currently in possession of 4 small quilts and 1 lap quilt. Shes spoiled I know.

And Lil man has recently informed me that his boat quilt is babyish and he also needs a new one. Maybe something with footballs or Mario. 


I've been getting around my whole "we don't need more quilts thing" by making new quilt patterns. Which means I get to have fun and test my skills!

I've never made a dresdan quilt before and I've admired them for a long time.  


The fabric came from the craft cotton company its from their new geo fat quarter range. I was lucky enough to receive one in each of the colours, blue, purple and pink. 


I kept each plate to a specific colour. I made 2 plates using all the fabrics and two using just two of the fabrics each. 

The centre circles are using the most low volume fabric in the pack, luckily these are all pretty similar in all the colour ways so I;m hoping to also use them for the binding. 

That is when I've found something to back it with and quilted it. I'm waiting for my local home and bargains to start stocking cheap fleece quilts again so I can use those for backing. 


I appliqued each of the plates onto squares of pink from my stash. Technically its dressmaking material but its cotton and its a shade of pink I'd never wear so I might as well use it for this!!! 

Then each of the blocks is bordered with either dark blue or white. I did want to boarder them all in the same colour but I had fabric restrictions sooooo.............. 


I actually really really like how it turned out. Its a bit more girlie than I thought it would be, but its kind of nice to have girlie things in a mainly boy household.

I did struggle with how to place the blocks though. I had wanted it to look random but I don't think I succeeded. Its not bothering me enough to unpick it all though!  


I might add one last big boarder to the whole thing before I quilt it but I need to work out what fabric to use first. 

By the way if you want to try your hand at this I have written a lil tutorial for the craft cotton company you can find it here. 


I actually took these photos on the the last few decent days of summer we had.

In fact I'm really really missing the summer. On Thursday me and lil man had to walk in the torrential rain and it was NOT fun at all. In fact when we got home we dried off and just put our pjs on and I had a massive grump about being cold and wet and grumpy. To be honest this always happens when it gets colder , as much as I love the Christmas and snow the whole being cold every day and having wet feet makes me just a lil bit miserable!

I'm currently looking for suggestions on how to perk myself up! Any ideas?????

Much Love

Frankie

xx 

2 comments:

Go On Make Me Smile And Leave Me A Comment!
You can also reach me at knitwitsowls@gmail.com!
x