Monday 25 March 2019

Simplicity 1252 "Jiffy" - Red Tartan Dress

This make is so old I remember wearing it with jumpers underneath it during that really harsh winter spell we had. 

Yeah, what can I say I'm behind on my blogging!!! 


Now this isn't typically something I'd choose to make but I was demoing how to make one at abakhans so I needed to make up a sample.

As it goes I was a Muppet and didn't pattern match my side seams but hey ho we can't be perfect all the time.

The pattern is simplicity 1252.

Image result for simplicity 1252

And surprisingly for simplicity the samples aren't made up in horrible fabrics! I'd actually wear all of the versions on the pattern envelope.


Its a really simple pattern, the back is cut with the fabric doubled [like normal] but the front is cut out on the flat so its a BIG OLE pattern piece. 

Its also a great pattern for practising darts. The centre front has a long dart as well as bust darts and the back has two darts as well to give shape. 

I'm not a huge fan of the centre front dart, especially with a tartan pattern like this as it distorts it. Plus it just feels a bit weird to me having a dart right under my chin. Next time I think I'll rotate the dart out because I'm just not a huge fan of it. 


The arm and neck facing is all in one. Which is my favourite kind of facing, I mean I'd much rather line something but if I do have to do a facing I'd rather it was all in one and not flapping around. 

I took about 1 1/2 inches off the length and I probably could have taken a fraction more.  


The backs got a lapped zip which I can happily report went in first time with no issues. I did pin the absolute heck out of it though to make sure that all the tartan stripes lined up. [unlike those pesky side seams!]


All in all I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Its a nice blend of smart and comfy and it looks really nice with a black turtleneck or a jumper of some sort under it. 

In other news!!! 

I've done a bit of sewing recently. I've made an outfit for my friends wedding next month and I am buzzing to wear it!

I've not done any knitting but I've been tidying my knitting and sewing stuff so I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things soon. Especially seen as I have a lot of baby booties to knit! I know 3 people who are pregnant right now!!!!! Which also means I have three baby blankets to make!!! Eek!!!!!

Much Love

Frankie 

xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go On Make Me Smile And Leave Me A Comment!
You can also reach me at knitwitsowls@gmail.com!
x